TD5 Diagnosis

Hi all,

It is about a month since the truck last had an outing. I left it with the T-box in neutral whilst I was away.

On starting and putting it back to high (no diff lock) the difflock light came on and stayed on.

On pulling away (well pulling does not cover it) the acceleration was awful (0 to 30 in about 25 secs!) and sustainable top speed was down about 10mph.

After about 15mins on coming off a dual carriageway I noticed that the difflock light had gone out. I also noticed that I had some acceleration back.

Same happened today; drove 10 mins with the truck in high (no difflock) sluggishly, the light goes out and eventually some power returns.

Is this liklely to be

a) Fueling issues

b) brake sticking issues

c) something to do with the difflock

d) I have got too used to fast cars in the interim!

There are no odd noises, no clunks, no other telling features

Cheers

Martin

Took it London Gosport return today, and the speed is back, the acceleration is back.

This may be down to an Italian Tune up done at one point, but that may be co-incidence.

The one thing noticed today was the heat coming from under the body. When I stopped for fuel, you could feel the heat coming out of the rear wheel arch! The transmission box was warmer than I remember too.

Even after 30 miles of town driving it was hot - could this be the transmission brake sticking?

Martin

Is it due for a service ?

Im sure an hour spent changing all filters and oils and lubing UJ's would allow you/someone time to have a look at the vehicle as a whole, and with all wheels off the ground [on a ramp, not Dukes of Hazzard style] I think you could see if there was any rolling resistance.

Also see you have a passion for the water, was it left in Surrey or near the coast when you gaive it a month off ? (wondering if salt ingress has anything to do with your initial problems?)

Now that its got over its sulk, has the difflock light come on again ?

Sulk probably describes it quite well!!!!

Diff light is now off, and has stayed off.

I can lift the rear end temporarily with the bottle jack and high lift, but I think it may be time to invest in axle stands if I am going in underneath!!

• 2 weeks later...

Progress:

Checked so far:

Fuel filter changed

Lifted back end on axle stands - the prop shaft moves easily with no major friction with transmission brake off.

Lifted front end on axle stands - the prop shaft moves easily with no major friction.

Checked and greased UJs

Put injector cleaner into the fuel tank and run till low - refilled, and put in fuel system cleaner.

ECU plug checked - no oil at plug as yet.

I have just replaced the air filter as well, but have not run it since.

I have also noticed that the inside of the exhaust is black and sooty. - Black indicating not enough air?

The loss of power is mainly at high load - e.g. she will only do 60 up hills on motorways! or when starting from cold.

So Fuel in checked and cleaned, Air in replaced, any other ideas folks?

Martin