Sunroofs - do leaks leave traces ?

dooroy

I have a 2001 Td5 and as the sunroofs leaked a bit from time to time I finally decided to remove the headlining and sort them out properly .

I expected to see some evidence of leaks as water dripped off the rear sunroof handle on a few occasions and sometimes when the front seatbelts were drawn out they gave a soaking to the wearer .

However when I removed the headlining there was no trace of rust whatsoever - and to me both sunroofs appeared almost new .

I have the Disco 2 years and it was a company vehicle and very well maintained in every way . The new appearance of the sunroofs would suggest they were replaced - and if they are relatively new where is the leak ?

Would anyone with a Disco of this age have removed headlining ? and if they did was there at least some traces of rust or water ingress ?

I still intend to remove them as the problem could be the seal between sunroof frame and vehicle roof .

The boxes in the corners etc are perfect - sealer in place , not a speck of rust .

yep - mines a 2000 plate D2 and when i removed the headlining there was not a spec of rust or damp, mould, general grebbiness.

but the thing leaked like a sieve! Well until i fixed it.....

dont believe the 'appearance' of the sealant around the plastic drain cups. Might look all nice and secure with big blobs of black sealant - ours did too until i poured water directly into the sunroof channels and watched it GUSH out from around the sealant. :(