Strengthening Bonnet / Wings with Chequer Plate

As someone who generally dislikes the chequerplate look, I am reaching the conclusion that I need bonnet and wing chequerplates for added stiffness , so I can climb up and get at stuff on the roofrack. I am an insignificant 16st / 100kg and have 3 questions:

1. Are there any obvious alternatives to chequerplate (pre formed, pre-cut etc, as I do not have the tools to make my own), preferably in a long-lasting black non-slip finish

2. Are they all rivetted on ?

3. Will 3mm chequerplate (or alternative) do the job on its own, or do I need to put in some extra brackets between the wings and the chassis/bulkhead somewhere

4. Any recommended suppliers ?

All help received with the usual gratitude

Apoplogies if this is covered in depth elsewhere and I did not spot it

Regards

Richard

Mine is screwed on with self tappers rather than riveted, It doesnt look half as bad in black rather than silver or anodized.

I have a full bonnet one (Ie not just the center like most) so the void behind it is filled with expanding foam just too fill the gap other than that there is no other stregnthing on the wings or bonnet.

Mines from rebel 4x4, its not bad and its not too pricey either.

Dave.

Richard, you can either rivet it on, or screw it on. I believe the genuine LR tread plate is screwed on, and includes a gasket to slow water ingress. You can also just put some sealant around the edges to any old Ali sheet I reckon though.

I weigh about 105kg, and I use 3mm plate on my bonnet & wings, and I have no problems.

What you could do, is perhaps contact Patriot roofracks/Mammouth 4x4 (they are one and the same company) and get Paul Hogarth (the owner) to cut you some plain 3mm Ali sheet ie without out the raised bars.

This would give you the strength you need for standing on there. You could then layer some of that Treadmaster anti-slip rubber matting to the top of that, as the lack of raised bars will allow a greater contact surface for the adhesive backing.

I use Treadmaster on the ends of my winch bumper, and it works brilliantly! I tested it this weekend in driving rain in the Peak district, and you just cant slip off the stuff! It looks good too. I reckon it would look really smart on the bonnet & wings.

HTH

Martin

My 90 came with all the Chequer plate fitted.. (Wing tops, Centre of bonnet, sills and rear 1/4 pannels)

I used to be 20-21 stone last year (Lost a couple now admitidly :P)and used to just on my bonnet, Even had me and another mate who is 19 stone on at the same time!)

My Chequer plate is the 2mm stuff I think and it never bent the bonnet.. Although I accidentally stood off the chequer plate onto the edge of the bonnet leaving a nice big dent :P (Filler and a hammer got that out)

Mines secured with pop rivets.. But on my 2a I use some pan head stainless screws (I prefer this method but people say Stainless will react with the Alluminium but so far its been fine!)

I hate the stuff normally but mine was powder coated black on a Red defender and looks mint on any colour, Its currently Grey primer with black chequer plate..