Progress on the 3.9

GT6Steve

I have a few here too... can send one if you like but god only knows how long it may take?

I'm not surprised by any of that. I've got Triumph parts laying about the same way. RR's are relatively rare around here. The breakers have a complete dizzy for about the same price but I'm sure it will be the three wire as well.

In fairness, I've had the truck since 93 and have bought an alternator and a brake pump. Oh, and a window switch. I'm not complaining...

And an engine rebuild :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised by any of that. I've got Triumph parts laying about the same way. RR's are relatively rare around here. The breakers have a complete dizzy for about the same price but I'm sure it will be the three wire as well.

In fairness, I've had the truck since 93 and have bought an alternator and a brake pump. Oh, and a window switch. I'm not complaining...

And an engine rebuild :rolleyes:

Steve,

This link also may help if you cant get hold of the correct ignition module part.

http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78

Its about converting to a cheaper, more reliable gm hei unit.

Quite a few on here have done the conversion

RR

Thanx for that tip RR, I'd pondered such a thing but didn't follow up on it.

Last Monday I dug into it with the new module, entirely confident it would run. Not to be! I spent about four hours going over it feeling dumber with each passing moment. I thought I understood a Kettering ignition...

In the end I determined it HAD to be the reluctor in the dizzy even though it seemed fine on the bench. So, off to the breakers where I gave up another 125 Dollars for a used dissy from the only RR he had.

Put it in and it sparked but I'd run out of time to adjust it until this morning. Brought it to top dead center, confirmed the number one hole was airtight and dropped the thing into position. And it ran! So now it's in front of the shop instead at the bottom of the drive and I can time it properly and tighten it down.

Thanx for all the help.

BTW, I scattered the engine in the racer last weekend whilst leading. One lap from the finish. :(

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting twist on the new motor breakin period. Driving it to work and back early uin the week it started to develop a low idle and severe bog off the line. This was after a twenty minute period of 3500 RPM motorway run. I'm pondering which sensor could be breaking down until the final day it wouldn't run at any idle period. I had to get the revs up to move making the last three miles home a bit high strung.

At home, the first thing I did was pop off the dizzy cap, I don't know why. The rotor brass fell out and the rivet for it was caught in the three screws releif on the spark cover. WTF??

I put in an old Lucas rotor and it's now running sweetly.

Well, but for a major oil leak on the front cover somewhere, GAWD, I hope that's just a loose bolt... :rolleyes: