Now this will shock the lot of you!

Unsworth

You can get away with refitting the old tensioner if you're fully aware of the risks. If the belt snaps it'll cost you a round £100+ for rockers, pushrods etc. Depends whether the tow home and unplanned maintenance is worth the risk for you. Bear in mind that it won't show any excess movement until it's knackered. I'd find a few quid and change it.

Although I am sure the belt wouldnt have lasted long as mud was between the belt and gears.. And you can see the belt was also rubbing on the timing case cover.. But that goes to show how much abuse a 200tdi can take!.. Yet run like new!..

My 300tdi was exactly the same. Crank pulley was the old type, still with the olf type in this day and age!?!? Just finished it and the belt was half off the crank pulley, half ripped to pieces, with half the worlds mud in there (ok not half). Just made me glad I did it...

No-one has mentioned replacing the tensioner bearing. Is this not possible in the same way as with the fan belt tensioner? :unsure:

I don't have a Tdi so I'm ready to be corrected on the above. Fan belt tensioner bearing (skf) can be just a few £ vs the whole assembly @45 for a cheapy one and very simple to swap over.

Just a thought from a penny pincher.

Quite right. It is possible on the 300. Last time I looked, the bearing could be had for about £6. Affordable even to a student.

You could fit it between Jeremy Kyle and loose women :lol:

Stu.