300TDi misfire

matt bristol

I have spent the last couple of days removing the skin from my knuckles and adding oily fingerprints to every thing as I changed the head on my 300TDi disco.

I tried to do everything properly rather than my usual 'yeehar f**k it that will do' approach but I now have a misfire and a funny almost blowing noise form the air intake.

The one job I haven't done is re-set the tappets which needs doing as they are a bit noisy. The replacement head had been pressure tested and skimmed approx 800 miles ago and I have no reason to doubt the chap I bouhgt it off. I followed the tightening sequence and the 60 deg + 6- deg + 20 for 1,2, 7, 8 etc so I think I got it back together correctly.

Under hard acceleration it chugs out a lot of smoke - a sort of grey brown colour and plenty of it whilst accelerating badly compared to before I cooked the engine.

I looked at the pistons and bores and they all seemed ok - I am no expert - there were no obvious cracks or bits missing and hte bore still had machine/honing marks so can't have been too worn I assume.

Please can some one point me in the direction of what the problem is likely to be, I am hoping tappets not closing the valve fully or some odd land rover trick with the injection system but I have no clue where to begin!

thanks in advance

Matt

I have spent the last couple of days removing the skin from my knuckles and adding oily fingerprints to every thing as I changed the head on my 300TDi disco.

I tried to do everything properly rather than my usual 'yeehar f**k it that will do' approach but I now have a misfire and a funny almost blowing noise form the air intake.

The one job I haven't done is re-set the tappets which needs doing as they are a bit noisy. The replacement head had been pressure tested and skimmed approx 800 miles ago and I have no reason to doubt the chap I bouhgt it off. I followed the tightening sequence and the 60 deg + 6- deg + 20 for 1,2, 7, 8 etc so I think I got it back together correctly.

Under hard acceleration it chugs out a lot of smoke - a sort of grey brown colour and plenty of it whilst accelerating badly compared to before I cooked the engine.

I looked at the pistons and bores and they all seemed ok - I am no expert - there were no obvious cracks or bits missing and hte bore still had machine/honing marks so can't have been too worn I assume.

Please can some one point me in the direction of what the problem is likely to be, I am hoping tappets not closing the valve fully or some odd land rover trick with the injection system but I have no clue where to begin!

thanks in advance

Matt

all push rods checked, and gaps reset, its better but still mis-firing which seems to get gradually worse the more you drive it - not that I have been any great distance - probably about a mile in all.

Luckily I now have the J on the front prop shaft to also repair after that gave up this morning on a test run!

ce again I am here asking inane questions, having sorted the tappets I now have to contend with the rear stud that holds the rocker cover on stripping the thread in the head - I think this was prior to my ham fisted repairs as it went almost as soon as I applied pressure to the spanner!

Anyway my question for today is, can I drill out the hole through the rocker to take a bigger thread or will it need a helicoil, and if helicoil required can this be done in situ as this part of the head sits under the bulkhead typically.

thanks for all the advice so far chaps by the way

Matt