Bulkhead..

Just wondering if there is any guide on the best way to restore bulkheads. Due to the current price of new ones being the guts of a grand ive decided to restore my old one. The side pillars are both good and require no welding. The offside footwell is also good. Im going to have to replace the nearside footwell however. Obviously with funds being tight just now galving is out (this is what i would like to have done) so what are the other options for a lasting treatment after ive welded the new footwell into place?

Thanks for that. Would an etch primer be advised? Maybe do a better job of protecting against future corrosion? And what about the inside of the bulkhead - obviously the new footwell will be bare steel on the inside, and ive been told they tend to rot from the inside out?

Thanks for that. Would an etch primer be advised? Maybe do a better job of protecting against future corrosion? And what about the inside of the bulkhead - obviously the new footwell will be bare steel on the inside, and ive been told they tend to rot from the inside out?

Check out products such as POR-15 at Frosts for tough paint, inside and out.

When you've finished, turn it upside down and Waxoyl it (other waxy anti-corrosion products are available) until it drips.

Cheers. Just one thing. Why should i turn it upside down? Would i be correct in assuming that the point is to completely fill the bulkhead inside with the waxoyl? If so, how would i go about blanking off all the holes to stop the stuff coming out? Where do i put the waxoyl in?

Cheers. Just one thing. Why should i turn it upside down? Would i be correct in assuming that the point is to completely fill the bulkhead inside with the waxoyl? If so, how would i go about blanking off all the holes to stop the stuff coming out? Where do i put the waxoyl in?

IIRC the bulkhead has open apertures at the bottom, certainly under each edge (hinge area), whereas it isn't supposed to have any elswhere, other than hinge and wing bolt holes. Cover these with tape first. The double skin bits are the left and right edges and along the top (around the vents) so turning it upside down gives the stuff chance to get there. The point is to liberally coat the inside with Waxoyl, which does involve a bit over over-application.