Cannot remove halfshaft, Help

jamesvfr

Hi all

Blew a rear diff last time i was out

Yesterday i thought id get on + change it

Pulled out drivers side no problem but when i tried pulling out passenger shaft, no chance

If its all the way in its engaged as it should pull out about an inch + it spins freely + not engaged with diff pull out another 1/4-1/2 inch its the engaged with the diff again + cannot pull out any further

Any ideas why this would be or how to get it out?

We had 2 lever bars on it last night, 1 either side, + would not budge

A mate said if al else fails wrap a strap round the flange of the shaft + tow it out lol

All help + suggestions greatly appreciated

James

It maybe the splines have twisted on the half shaft and thus it now

good and jammed in the spines into the diff.

Dependant on if the diff is blown apart right, (and if it is scrap which it sounds it is) you may be able to shove a long steel rod down the clear end of the axle, through the diff and onto the end of the stuck shaft, a few good belts will see the shaft out esp if mate pulls on the shaft at the same time

Nige

Well ive got it out eventually

I tried using bolts through the holes on the shaft with nuts behind the head of the shaft to act as a puller + would not budge, kept stripping the threads

Couldnt get a bar all the way through the diff

I ended up wrapping a strap round the head of the shaft + towing it out, didnt like it though + rangie moved about a foot sideways while doing it

The last 1/4 inch of the splines had twisted + the diff centre was empty, all the bits in the bottow of the casing, lots of bits :lol:

At least i can now get on + finish it

Cheers for looking