300tdi head gasket help please

colin tandy

hi all eventually have got the head off my disco 300tdi 1999 model and would like to ask a few questions and get some advice on what to do next....have uploaded some pics of the head and block so as to show and hopefully get the correct advice befor i begin replacement.

first question is can anybody tell from the pics where the damage /leak occured and possibly why!

next question is whats the best method in cleaning head and block without causing damage most the head is clean no obviouse damage or marks ...but i could be wrong.head seems to be in good order no cracks that i can see or damage the gasket came of the block in one piece part from an area near the rear left side which seems to have some melted gasket maybe thats where it has failed!! not sure.

and what size gasket should i use to replace as local seems to think just put thickest on! but not sure.

symptoms that made me take head off where after coolant hose split at rear of engine when engine cooled down went to top up and when started engine with the coolant cap of it was just blowing water straight out like it was under preasure but was cold!....got vehicle home and checked again in mornin same again when cold blowing out like it was under preasure..was advized was head gasket gone drawing air in !! causing this preasure build up there does not seem to be any coolant contamination in oil have droped that out now and will be replacing the thermostate aswell just to be sure.

cheers all welcome any advice.

colin

post-19260-125344309699_thumb.jpg

post-19260-125344320493_thumb.jpg

post-19260-125344339951_thumb.jpg

post-19260-125344363356_thumb.jpg

post-19260-125344385615_thumb.jpg

You should get the head crack tested (300TDi are prone to cracking). Can't see much from the pictures - the old gasket would be better. Even if you have the head skimmed - use the same thickness gasket (standard is usually 2-notches) You can use a thicker gasket - it doesn't really matter that much. You must check the valve stand down though if the head is skimmed.

Les.

looks like the same thing I had with mine recently, blowing between piston 2 and 3. to remove the gasket from the block I used a large flat blade screw driver and pushed really hard witha cosntant pressure against the edge of the gasket that was stuck to the block. After a few seconds it broke free from the block in big chunks - but be careful to ensure none of the gasket falls into the bottom end or the push rod / cam area. Also don't go berserk as I guess you could potentially damage the surface of the block

yea thanks for that matt have just finished removing all the gasket that got stuck on no problems all sorted

have just put a straight steel edge ruler up against the head to check for distortion ..cant seem to find any at all it all seems pretty good order....for now! :unsure:

will check again though befor i start re-asembling head just in case im being to optimistic!!