RUSTY WHEEL NUTS on my TD5

Robmeister

Are there any other Series 2 TD5 Disco owners have trouble with their nuts! I tried to take the near side wheel off to change the discs and pads and hey ho - nightmare! 2 of the whell nuts just keep going round and round. Tried hitting them back in to get some thread but nothing.

Was told by a Mechanic I will have to angle grind the WHOLE ALLOY WHEEL off! In pieces then saw off the Hub - Cheeses, the pads and discs kit only cost £50 but this is going to end up a £600 notes job!

I didnt realise under those shiny Disco wheel nut covers that the bolts were so badly rusted.

Anyone any ideas?

Never heard of it before. What is happening - the shiny nut covers spinning on the nuts, or the nuts and studs seized together and the stud is spinning in the hub?

If its the latter I think the angle grinder suggestion is probably right, unless you want to drill down the middle of the nut but I'm guessing drilling an inch through a wheel stud may take a while... and a few drill bits :(

If its the cover spinning on the nut body then you should be able to get the cover off, find a six point socket the right size to fit the (now smaller) nut body and get it off with that.

Find a better mechanic.......bogmonster has it......remove the shiny cap that covers the nut and then use a smaller sized socket.

Failing that we have welded nuts onto the end of the stubbon nuts/locking wheel nuts (NO KEY) and just remove as normal.

Give us your location and someone might be close enough to help you out.

Are there any other Series 2 TD5 Disco owners have trouble with their nuts! I tried to take the near side wheel off to change the discs and pads and hey ho - nightmare! 2 of the whell nuts just keep going round and round. Tried hitting them back in to get some thread but nothing.

Was told by a Mechanic I will have to angle grind the WHOLE ALLOY WHEEL off! In pieces then saw off the Hub - Cheeses, the pads and discs kit only cost £50 but this is going to end up a £600 notes job!

I didnt realise under those shiny Disco wheel nut covers that the bolts were so badly rusted.

Anyone any ideas?

Get another mechanic he's talking absolute tosh !!!

If the chrome nut covers are spinning take them off and get direct access to the nuts.

We've all heard bullshît stories from mechanics but this one takes the biscuit !!!!!

Sorry everyone should have said I remmoved the shiny cover off the 2 spining nuts already. When the shiny cover is removed you can look right down the nut and two of my studs are just spinning around. Going to a different Mechanic on Monday who fixes DAF trucks for a living and I trust him! He is going to drill out the studs and save my alloy wheel. He is not sure of the condition of the rest of the hub until its all stripped down. But I seem to think he might be able to weld in 2 new studs not sure exactly what he said but it sounded cheaper than what Land Rover said! Which was new £280 HUB plus 4 -8 hours labour!

Another Speciast said new studs can be pressed in as they are on a spline and they have had TD5 studs snapp quite often on Customers cars.

I'll let you know the outcome on Tueday night when I get it back !!

IME the only reason studs normally snap right off is some barely shaven muppet in Kwik Fit with a heavy duty rattle gun wound up to 110% abuse.

If the stud is spinning in the hub it will be a barsteward of a job but can be done as you say. The problem may be that the splines in the hub have stripped - and I'd be wary of welding something like a wheel stud but I'm not sure about this - it might be OK just seems a bit iffy welding a very high tensile stud with what amounts to mild steel? A careful inspection will need to be made of the holes in the hub when it is all off.

Whatever the book says about not lubricating the stud threads, a squirt of WD40 is never a bad thing so the nuts don't seize on. I would think that what caused the studs to strip in the first place is the nut seizing on the stud after it had been loosened, this would mean that the full torque was being placed on the tapered splines without the benefit of the clamping force to hold the studs firmly in place - and especially with a rattle gun the splines will probably strip quite easily.