SOS: Replacing fire damaged 200tdi wiring loom!

lrnewbie

Hi all,

I've owned a Disco 200tdi for just over a year now and am working my way through the usual suspects to keep it going i.e. replacing windows/rotten sliders, welding sills, replacing the suspension etc. To cut a long story short; some idiot knocked the wing and bumper effectively writing it off. It's too good to scrap so I'm fixing it myself with some paid help on spraying a new wing. With the damaged wing off I saw some welding to the inner sills that needed doing. Got going with it but being a welding novice (my 2nd time trying) I managed to set some of the electric wiring loom alight!

Absolutely gutted, this is a family car not a hobby and I need it back on the road asap before I settle with the insurance comp and they take my courtesy car away! The damage is in the driver's foot well to the right behind the plastic cover. My wife took some piccies that I've attached but not sure it's clear. Doesn't look like any copper in the wires are completely melted but the insulation definitely is and there's clearly a load of short circuits. I see my options as follows:

1. Trace every wire to a point where it wasn't burnt and splice/solder in unburnt wire one by one: Not only tedious but there are some badly burnt connections: 4 white plugs and a big red one that probably need replacing, they look like they're fixed to the bodywork. I'm assuming I'll have to take the dash off to double check the loom where I can't see it.

2. Buy a loom from another Disco and do the above, splicing in healthy wires at an appropriate point but in theory I suppose it will be quicker as I won't have to be so meticulous in tracing the burnt wire?

3. Get an autoelectrician in: not really an option as I assume it's too expensive for the value of the car

A mate of mine breaks disco's to keep his 4X4 hobby going and has offered for me to go down to his yard and pull out a loom from an old 3 door 200tdi he's breaking. Great opportunity as I can practice taking the dash off to get the loom and in theory just replace like for like....or can I? I have a 4 door 1993 Disco with air con, remote vol control, 4 elec windows. Will the loom be the same or will I still have to check it carefully, even alter it to be the same? Should I just get a loom from a vehicle closer in age, 4 door etc. or is it all the same loom?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise. I'm awful at autoelectris btw so idiots guide in doing this would be appreciated.

post-11024-125538145774_thumb.jpg

post-11024-125538147127_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

I've owned a Disco 200tdi for just over a year now and am working my way through the usual suspects to keep it going i.e. replacing windows/rotten sliders, welding sills, replacing the suspension etc. To cut a long story short; some idiot knocked the wing and bumper effectively writing it off. It's too good to scrap so I'm fixing it myself with some paid help on spraying a new wing. With the damaged wing off I saw some welding to the inner sills that needed doing. Got going with it but being a welding novice (my 2nd time trying) I managed to set some of the electric wiring loom alight!

Absolutely gutted, this is a family car not a hobby and I need it back on the road asap before I settle with the insurance comp and they take my courtesy car away! The damage is in the driver's foot well to the right behind the plastic cover. My wife took some piccies that I've attached but not sure it's clear. Doesn't look like any copper in the wires are completely melted but the insulation definitely is and there's clearly a load of short circuits. I see my options as follows:

1. Trace every wire to a point where it wasn't burnt and splice/solder in unburnt wire one by one: Not only tedious but there are some badly burnt connections: 4 white plugs and a big red one that probably need replacing, they look like they're fixed to the bodywork. I'm assuming I'll have to take the dash off to double check the loom where I can't see it.

2. Buy a loom from another Disco and do the above, splicing in healthy wires at an appropriate point but in theory I suppose it will be quicker as I won't have to be so meticulous in tracing the burnt wire?

3. Get an autoelectrician in: not really an option as I assume it's too expensive for the value of the car

A mate of mine breaks disco's to keep his 4X4 hobby going and has offered for me to go down to his yard and pull out a loom from an old 3 door 200tdi he's breaking. Great opportunity as I can practice taking the dash off to get the loom and in theory just replace like for like....or can I? I have a 4 door 1993 Disco with air con, remote vol control, 4 elec windows. Will the loom be the same or will I still have to check it carefully, even alter it to be the same? Should I just get a loom from a vehicle closer in age, 4 door etc. or is it all the same loom?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise. I'm awful at autoelectris btw so idiots guide in doing this would be appreciated.

post-11024-125538145774_thumb.jpg

post-11024-125538147127_thumb.jpg

Anyone any ideas out there? I've added these pictures of what appear to be relays, 3 yellow connectors, 1 white and a red one. Is this all a standard part of the loom, I think the red one might be something to do with the air con?

post-11024-125555187037_thumb.jpg

post-11024-125555208028_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

You were quite right Old Hand, on closer inspection the copper in the wires were undamaged. I just spent a tedious few hours on my back pulling apart the melted sheaths and wrapping them separately in insulation tape. Changed the burnt relays and turned the ignition, everything works fine :-)

Thanks very much for the advice, got on to the real business at hand of welding in the inner wing and it all looks better than it did before.