Twin Front Shock Mounts

Mark90

Another vote here for Pro Comp's for racing on a budget.

I used to race on ES9000's doubled up at each corner. Regularly finish laps with steel on the pistons glowing blue/purple but in six years never had the seals fail. Only time they did go pop were the couple of occasions when I had stones puncture the shock and i seem to recall I may have had one pull the eye of the shock body. Overcome stones bursting the shock body by attaching a sheet of thin steel with jubilee clips to the leading edge of the shock tube. No more busted shocks.

Don't waste money on pretty coloured shock boots, they'll only trap carp.

Shocks should be seen as a disposable item when racing but at £35-ish a pop, Pro Comps are IMHO the best budget shock there is capable of standing up to some abuse. I understand Paddock are doing Pro-Comps these days cheaper than Pro Comp themselves.

Suspension (and being a half decent driver!), more than megabucks tuned engines is the key to setting good lap times. You'll regularly hear people claim their Fox/Milner/ Expensive shocks were the best money they've ever spent. Only trouble is, when you do break one, they cost more than £35 to fix! Top Dog in the NORC championship had his car set up and custom coilovers built by the Reiger importers. Cost an absolute fortune but the results speak for themselves when you watch him go. Welcome to the world of off-road racing. Hope you've got deep pockets.

PS. FWIW Two people recently (on opposite sides of the Atlantic) have both told me King shocks make Fox's look cheap and nasty junk.

Kev

Mark, we are running the twin shock mounts on the front and also had the shearing problem when the rally was being put through it's paces. We welded a tab on the front of the mount and made up a brace which runs from the chassis and bolts onto the tab. So far we've had no problems with it and it seems to do the job.

Shock wise, we are running 8 x Reigers with remote canisters and HT Suspension for the progressive springs - total cost was £2,730.00 for the full set which is cheap (everything is relative) and performs extremely well. The good thing about them is that they are rebuildable.

Anyway, you can see all of this when you arrive here in November.

Quite a few of the comp rovers in Aus run twin shockies - usually with the dampening adjusted down to reduce loads on the shockies and mounts. A lot of the corrugated outback roads soon sort shockies out - Cape York and Old Gunbarrel Highway spring to mind.