hood sticks

Exmoor Beast

Not sure which Forum to stick (geddit) this in as it applies to Defenders and Leafers ;)

Anyway, as some of you know I have a Series Two awaiting some attention. Nothing major required just some easy outrigger/crossmember welding, which I am planning on attempting myself and a few electrickery issues which I am sure will keep me awake half the winter.

Lastly before it goes back on the road I want to remove the hardtop and put a full tilt on. It will be getting used mainly offroad for my frequent trips out to the bunkhouse in the middle of nowhere we are managing now and a spot of trialling hopefully so some improvements over the standard rollover protection seems sensible. I was thinking of something along the lines of the military thicker hoodsticks. Has anyone got any suggestions? I want to keep it looking standardish.

Will :)

Hi Will

I think if you contact the usual suspects you can get an internal cage which you could then get a tilt made for? unless you're happy with a welder and bender and make your own? just make sure its tied to the chassis properly as per the thread in the tech archive

Mike

I'm sure I've seen the wolf type hoops used fore and aft before? Do they fir series bodys. Am I going mad or has anyone else seen that? I know they only body mount but I'm not after a proper rollcage just something that will hold the canvas up and stop it going right over if I should flop it on its side.

I'm sure I've seen the wolf type hoops used fore and aft before? Do they fir series bodys. Am I going mad or has anyone else seen that? I know they only body mount but I'm not after a proper rollcage just something that will hold the canvas up and stop it going right over if I should flop it on its side.

Yep they do fit Series tubs Will ......

Hopefully pics below...

post-145-125596419371_thumb.jpg

It is the back of ALF indeed.

Mark had some tubes bent up that went up the front of the screen and bolted through the flanges you can see against the canvas. Theses gave even more strength.

I don't know how they'd have stood up to a roll but they took the weight when I 'leant a bit far' into a bank when out laning a few times ;)

I've witnessed the standard "flimsy" hood sticks taking a flop onto the side. They did bend quite a bit and I think it was more of the windscreen and door top stopping it going any further. :ph34r:

Weren't 109s fitted with a bar behind the occupants, just a simple hoop, in case of it landing on its side?