Have I got the kickdown right?

daftpooly

The Disco has gone back on the road today after a 4 month list of job were completed which included a top end rebuild, now the car is running beautifully but when I took it for a test run soon after a blast to the red line it started misbehaving. It's a 3.9 auto and after exiting a roundabout it revved to 1500 then dropped to tickover then revved to 1500 then dropped to tickover, which is all it would do. I got it back home, put it in neutral or park and it revs to the red line no problem, is this a gearbox problem and if so - any ideas guys.

I've no idea if the kickdown cable would influence this and I'm not sure if it is correctly adjusted. Also I didn't check the oil level in the box since putting it off road so I'm waiting for all to go cold.

if it is fine in neutral, it is almost certainly to do with the kick down. does it rev up a bit when the drive is engaged and you apply the brakes, it should. if it stalls, it needs adjusting, if it revs higher than it would idle in neutral, it needs adjusting.

also, try it in d1,2,3... not just drive as you can eliminate things this way as it wont change past what is selected.

i would say if you suggeted kickdown, you have an idea that it is not right anyway, so go with adjustment of that.

for what it is worth, lack of auto oil will only stop it changing gears. if it changes up, it will stay in that gear until the demand goes up for another change. it could be on its limit of the low end of oil, but it would probably not have changed up in the first place.

i have never had an auto landy, but have had a old porsche, a golf and a vauxhall auto, the tech cant be too dis-similar to landy's,(perhaps not the porsce). but this is what i believe.

also, once this is sorted, i believe there is a kickdown for the full throttle position too, it sholud drop down one gear if you boot it with foot flat on floor, but dont quote me on the last point

regards

richard