Disintegrating aftermarket cats

FridgeFreezer

For the third year running my Freebie (1998 1.8 petrol) has failed the MOT due to a dead catalytic converter.

The first time the car was new to me and had been stood for years, so I could forgive it needing a new one.

Second MOT the "new" cat had disintegrated inside and was replaced under warranty by the exhaust shop.

This time round the same thing has happened, the original warranty (2 years back) has expired so I'm buying a new one.

I'm not overly bothered as the local exhaust place on charges £95 for a cat, which is cheaper than Paddocks and not bad even if it only lasts a year.

However, if there was some brand that was reasonably priced but didn't die, it'd be nice to know. Otherwise I'm seriously considering getting a decat pipe made and only fitting the cat come MOT time.

Where in the system is your cat john? On out 03 plate the cat is part of the manifold, and seems to last fine...

I _may_ have one kicking around if although I wouldn't like to vouch for it's condition....

Mark