dipped headlights dont work???

inchman

hi all, while coming home today, i switched on my headlights, mainbeam works ok but when i switchd to dipped nothing. When i got home i tried the the bulbs, both are ok. i put them back in and again, both main are working and both dipped are out.The fuses are ok. Also the low voltage dipped/sidelights are out. Has anybody any idea what the problem could be, switch etc ?its a 1997 3.9 disco 1

cheers Gary

hi all, while coming home today, i switched on my headlights, mainbeam works ok but when i switchd to dipped nothing. When i got home i tried the the bulbs, both are ok. i put them back in and again, both main are working and both dipped are out.The fuses are ok. Also the low voltage dipped/sidelights are out. Has anybody any idea what the problem could be, switch etc ?

cheers Gary

Relay maybe? Can you get dipped beam if you lock it on full? or is it not working just to flash someone out?

I would spray the switch with electical cleaner it may just be dirt over the contacts

martin

There are no relays in the main lighting circuit, (the switch takes the load) other than the dim-dip system. Pull the plug from the dim-dip resistor located on the engine bulkhead next to the washer bottle to isolate. The lighting switch and also the multi plug are known to give problems, remove the switch and have a look, it maybe repairable or it not it's a replacement switch.

If you wish to carry on using the dim-dip then refit the plug. My sidelights are LED so look a bit naff with the yellowish light of the dim-dip, so my plug is left unplugged. :)