Rear Transfer Box Oil Seal

Intending to replace this seal tomorrow as its leaking and making a mess of the handbrake etc.

I will also be putting on a new flange and nut etc. Any tips on this job gratefully received.

I have a LT230T fitted nd the Land Rover workshop manual doesn't go into any detail about this job. It does have an explanation of how to do the job on a LT230S which I assume is pretty much the same.

If so, the process seems to require special tool 18G1422 - Oil seal Replacer. I assume this is used to ensure the new seal is set at the right depth in the housing. As I haven't got this tool, any ideas on how to ensure the oil seal is in the right place? I'm not sure the old one is!

Thanks,

Guy

All i have ever done is used a prybar or big screwdriver to lever the old one out and then a rubber/plastic hammer to tap it into place or a socket of the right size to just fit inside the casing and around the outer edge of the seal and i have had no problems with that so far

Frank

All i have ever done is used a prybar or big screwdriver to lever the old one out and then a rubber/plastic hammer to tap it into place or a socket of the right size to just fit inside the casing and around the outer edge of the seal and i have had no problems with that so far

Frank

Thanks for this. Not too worried about getting it square. More concerned in getting the seal at the right depth, When i did it last time, it started leaking again pretty quickly and I wondered if it was because i hadn't got the seak in far enough.

Guy

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guy,

The seal needs to be square and set in by about 2mm, grease the seal on the inside to lubricate it and keep it soft.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Have done this now so will see how we go. I noticed as I was changing it (along with new flange etc etc) that oil was pushing past the bearing. Is this indicative of some other problem?

Guy