Kick down cable

v8bobber

I have owned Landrovers for nearly 20 years ad have probably driven one everyday since then. All of them, however, have been manual. About twelve months ago I started the rebuild of my trialer and early on I decided that it would be a 3.9 with the appropriate auto box behind it.

The project is nearing completion now and there's only some relatively little bits and bobs to before it is ready to compete. However, when I went to shift it in the garage yesterday I noticed that the throttle was sticking open. Further investigation showed that the kickdown cable was not retracting into it's cover, leaving a kink in it that was holding the throttle open partly . I've been out for another brief look this afternoon and have disconnected it at the engine end. The inner cable will pull out but will not retract. I am now stuck with a random couple of inches of cable with not a clue of how the kickdown cable works, how I can get it working again, and more strangely, why it has failed I the first place. The only thing I can think of is that it has siezed after bot being used for a year.

Hope someone can advise

Dave

I have owned Landrovers for nearly 20 years ad have probably driven one everyday since then. All of them, however, have been manual. About twelve months ago I started the rebuild of my trialer and early on I decided that it would be a 3.9 with the appropriate auto box behind it.

The project is nearing completion now and there's only some relatively little bits and bobs to before it is ready to compete. However, when I went to shift it in the garage yesterday I noticed that the throttle was sticking open. Further investigation showed that the kickdown cable was not retracting into it's cover, leaving a kink in it that was holding the throttle open partly . I've been out for another brief look this afternoon and have disconnected it at the engine end. The inner cable will pull out but will not retract. I am now stuck with a random couple of inches of cable with not a clue of how the kickdown cable works, how I can get it working again, and more strangely, why it has failed I the first place. The only thing I can think of is that it has siezed after bot being used for a year.

Hope someone can advise

Dave

Hi

I replaced a kickdown cable i had on a 3.9, if i remember correctly it was easy enough but i had to remove the sump of the autobox.

Keith

I believe the end of the cable wraps around a quadrant at the 'box end.

If you pull on the cable at the engine end and get way more cable than you expected then I suspect it has become disconnected.

As already said you have to take the sump off to get at it.

Don't think it will make a difference but have you run the engine and selected through the gear range in case that frees the quadrant if it has jammed.

When you do the job replace the filter but don't replace the trans. fluid with new unless you really have too. It is said that the new fluid contains detergents that will free up sludge that has quietly nestled in corners for years. The sludge will then block the filters or jam up the valve block.

Make sure you have gaskets and a new filter to hand before you start.

Steve

I believe the end of the cable wraps around a quadrant at the 'box end.

If you pull on the cable at the engine end and get way more cable than you expected then I suspect it has become disconnected.

As already said you have to take the sump off to get at it.

Don't think it will make a difference but have you run the engine and selected through the gear range in case that frees the quadrant if it has jammed.

When you do the job replace the filter but don't replace the trans. fluid with new unless you really have too. It is said that the new fluid contains detergents that will free up sludge that has quietly nestled in corners for years. The sludge will then block the filters or jam up the valve block.

Make sure you have gaskets and a new filter to hand before you start.

Steve

Thanks for the advice. I stupidly hadnt thought about running the engine, and selecting the odd gear to try and free things up. Will try tomorrow

Dave