Td5 - new spec metal head dowels

BogMonster

Over the years I have read in various places about the Td5 engines having problems with plastic locating dowels (that locate the head to the block) melting and allowing the head to move, and these being superceded to metal dowels in later engines to do away with the problem.

We've got 2 vehicles with coolant loss (fine for short runs/low speed, and fine up to about ten miles main road driving and then suddenly boof - all the coolant out the header tank cap and on the floor, fill up, bleed and let it cool a bit and the same happens again but you can drive both vehicles round for weeks on short runs with no problem and no coolant loss)

I was just looking into the part numbers required ... but according to Microcat, there is only one part number for the locating dowels for all ages of Defender Td5 :unsure: no info on whether they are metal or plastic.

Does anybody have any definite info/numbers on the metal dowels please?

hi

looking at the version of microcat i have on the page displaying the block assembly it offers LCL100020L up to 1A622423 and then YLL500040 for 2A622424 onwards however going to the next page for the cylinder head you are only given the option of the later YLL500040 part so i would assume this is the later metal type.

I would be very surprised if they would still supply the plastic version if there was a known problem with them.

However just looking at the LRseries website they are still available but the pictures show the YLL500040 as the metal version.

HTH

matt

Ta, I see what you mean, the head gasket page that I was looking at shows the dowels but only the early part number.... I got the p/no for the head gasket, searched for that and found the dowels but that only shows the early type!

Further proof that Microcat is a steaming pile of $%^& :rtfm:

Searching for the p/no on Google suggests that YLL500040 is the metal type as you say.

Cheers Matt :)