Noisey Steering

Morning!!

I changed my fan belt the other day on my NA wich means getting the steering pump belt off 1st. Got it all back together, belts on properly as I've done several time before.

Now I've got very noisy and juddery steering which is confusing me because both belts are on correctly but it still feels like the steering belt is slipping.

It gets worse the further round I steer, particularly left.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ade

On the steering pump it's just a case of pulling the pump over until the belt's tight and doing the 3 bolts up again.

I did have a spare but the one bearmach gave me was too big so I've had to put the old one back one, I guess it could be a bit stretched & slipping slightly

New belts are cheap, I would suggest swapping in a new one firstly? How are they tensioned on an NA?

I've found the PAS belt has to go on far tighter to stop it slipping than the book suggests I should need to (like taut, no slack).

That's on a TD though, seems to be the same on an NA?

It seems pretty tight but there could just be enough slack to make the difference.

Ade

I just wanna add that there is such a thing as too tight (IMHO, if it slips when it's tightened to the torque in the book, you should put on a new belt). You might destroy any bearings of pumps/pulleys using that belt, Power steering to name just one.