Advice needed on buying 2005 Freelander TD4 2.0 Diesel

ninjafox

Hi all,

1st post so - hello! :D

I'm here because I need some advice. I had a Freelander TD4 2.0 Diesel (2004 reg) until recently. Long story short, I crashed it and it ain't going back on the road.

Now, I'm considering getting another one. I really liked it and didn't have too many issues with it. Clutch needed a bit of work done and electric windows caused an issue along the way but nothing too major.

I'm looking at a Freelander TD4 2.0 Diesel 2005 model and my question is this:

Are there any big issues to watch out for with the 2006 model?

I know the 2002 / 2003 models had some big issues so I'm just wondering if the same can be said for the 2006 model and if there are issues, what are they?

Thanks in advance for any and all help on this one.

Just make sure you do the usual checks when buying any motor and make sure the crackcase breather filter has been changed landrover only admitted in 2007 that this filter needs to be changed every 12,000 miles. A clogged up filter can cause your turbo to blow. This was a common fault with BMW's 3 series and the idiots at BMW passed the problem onto the Freelander. Most freelanders have never had the filters changed as people are still unaware of the problem.

Hope this helps

Hi all,

1st post so - hello! :D

I'm here because I need some advice. I had a Freelander TD4 2.0 Diesel (2004 reg) until recently. Long story short, I crashed it and it ain't going back on the road.

Now, I'm considering getting another one. I really liked it and didn't have too many issues with it. Clutch needed a bit of work done and electric windows caused an issue along the way but nothing too major.

I'm looking at a Freelander TD4 2.0 Diesel 2005 model and my question is this:

Are there any big issues to watch out for with the 2006 model?

I know the 2002 / 2003 models had some big issues so I'm just wondering if the same can be said for the 2006 model and if there are issues, what are they?

Thanks in advance for any and all help on this one.

What big issues? Not aware of any major issues on TD4's.

Hi

Had my 05 TD4 for 2 years now, it's on 66k miles, it's never let me down and it's brilliant. Been driving an 07 Disco TDV6 today for work and it felt rough and slow by comparison :huh: , and it was a real (and slightly surprising) pleasure to commute back home in the Freelander. Not what I expected after a Disco 3!!

Others on this forum will let you know what to look out for, I can't really say first hand. I can only say that as far as giving any advice to you about getting one, it would be a definite yes.

Cheers

Matt

We have had our 05 TD5 for nearly 3 years now and apart from servicing, its only needed a set of front Discs and Pads, and I would have expected that with it being an Auto.

It is interesting to read about the engine breather, I have stated to think that is not quite as quick as it used to be, so I will change that and see what happens.

My only complaint about it is the heating system is quite poor, especially the AC.

Dave

We have had our 05 TD5 for nearly 3 years now and apart from servicing, its only needed a set of front Discs and Pads, and I would have expected that with it being an Auto.

It is interesting to read about the engine breather, I have stated to think that is not quite as quick as it used to be, so I will change that and see what happens.

My only complaint about it is the heating system is quite poor, especially the AC.

Dave

I've had mine 05 td4 from new intially the a/c was very very good car was like a freezer within seconds in the summer then about 3 years ago it started 2 feel a bit sluggish to cool the freelander then at the start of last summer it was really bad and I knew it just needed an air con recharge and popped it in a local garage to get it done only cost about £25 and now it's as good as new as for the heater they do tend too slow down early freelanders heating system was worse than our ones. I've noticed that there is always more air comin out of the centre vents than the driver or passanger side but the differance is very slight and I've only picked it up as I knew it wasn't like this when knew like I said it's a very very slight differance and I have no doubt that everyone will be in the same boat, but if you didn't have little niggles it wouldn't be a land rover would it lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Had my 05 TD4 for 2 years now, it's on 66k miles, it's never let me down and it's brilliant. Been driving an 07 Disco TDV6 today for work and it felt rough and slow by comparison :huh: , and it was a real (and slightly surprising) pleasure to commute back home in the Freelander. Not what I expected after a Disco 3!!

Others on this forum will let you know what to look out for, I can't really say first hand. I can only say that as far as giving any advice to you about getting one, it would be a definite yes.

Cheers

Matt

Take off the Egr unit and clean.. I took our 04 one and OMG....... barely a 50p hole gap....... absolutely filled full of carp. next step is to take off the plastic manifold and clean that out me thinks... I'm very tempted to do the 3 series bmw oil breather filter mod...