temp gauge n heater

nomis21

Hi hoping to get some advice,

I have a freelander 2.0td L series year 2000 commercial. While travelling to work over the last few days i noticed my temperature gauge isnt moving, its stays in the cold part and does not rise, on top of that the heater only blows warm air and does not get as hot as it used to.

I have checked my water levels and have never ran it low on water.

The freebie still drives as normal...

Any suggestions?

hi have you tried your thermostat if its stuck open you wont get hot air or you might have a air lock

Hi thanks for that, would the thermostat stop the temp gauge from working? I have just checked water levels all ok, i have ran the engine for 15 mins and the water is hot in the water tank but the temp gauge doesnt work?

hi have you tried your thermostat if its stuck open you wont get hot air or you might have a air lock

Any help on how to check if thermostat stuck and how to unblock an airlock? I did fit a new water pump about 3 month ago but everything was fine until now?

Any help on how to check if thermostat stuck and how to unblock an airlock? I did fit a new water pump about 3 month ago but everything was fine until now?

will the freebie be ok to drive until i get it sorted?

Take the thermostat out and check that you can't see through it. There is kind of an inner disk and outer disk, a bit hard to explain really, and when heated to about 90 'C the inner disk should start moving away from the outer disk allowing you to see through it. So the way to test it is to stick it in a pan of boiling water and see what temperature it opens at.

We are talking about the stat which is about 60mm in diameter though and not the one with the wires on :unsure:

The stat would only need to be stuck open a very tiny amount to cause problem in recent weather.

Take the thermostat out and check that you can't see through it. There is kind of an inner disk and outer disk, a bit hard to explain really, and when heated to about 90 'C the inner disk should start moving away from the outer disk allowing you to see through it. So the way to test it is to stick it in a pan of boiling water and see what temperature it opens at.

We are talking about the stat which is about 60mm in diameter though and not the one with the wires on :unsure:

The stat would only need to be stuck open a very tiny amount to cause problem in recent weather.

Thanks evolwood, fellow cumbrian ere, thanks for the advise.

will it be ok to still drive until i have time to sort the thermostat?

Who knows :blush:

Thats one of them questions that really can't be answered.

If i was you then i'd take it in somewhere to be done if ya aint got time to sort it or if ya a softy and don't like working outside with water in -5 temperatures.

Dunno where you are in cumbria but if ya take it to simon .. http://www.cumbrialandrover.com/ i'm sure he'll sort it for ya and will probably lend ya a car to run about in while he does.

Definitely sounds like the thermostat, replace it, they're only a few quid, probably less than 10. Freebie will be fine to drive until it's replaced, if a littly chilly, lol.