no heat again

joe sharpe

hi all at last i have got engine temp up to about half way but the blowers still blow cold i have replaced thermostat flushed engine and replaced antifreeze.

is it possible for the water pump to pack in pumping the water around without any noticable signs?.

cheers joe. :unsure::unsure:

assuming you have a 300tdi, then your pump is attatched to all other ancilliaries like pas and alternator. if the pump siezed, then the belt would stop turning it and eventually burn through and snap. but you would know as it would stink of rubber burning and you would have no pas or charge to battery. the chances of the water pump snapping off inside the engine, but staying okay outside is slim, very slim.

if a 200 tdi, then it has its own belt and you will see it turning if you lift the bonnet and check it(tighten if necassary when stopped) and re-check.

if you fill it up from the reservoir, the water will get where it needs to go as it pumps from bottom of rad into block and out through bypass into pump housing again until up to temp, then through top hose.

it maybe that the water pump vanes have disintegrated, but if you remove the small hose to the reservoir from the thermo housing, run the engine and you will/should get water flowing out. if you dont, it is not difficult to get the pump off an check vanes, just get a waterpump gasket for replacement after you have checked the pump.

richard

as a side note, has someone bypassed the heater matrix and just plugged a rubber hose from outlet pipe running on top of engine to the inlet pointing straight up. both at the back of engine?cheers i will try that small pipe (its a 200)then the pump cheers joe.

richard

helloo joe,

i meant someone might have done this before you came to own it. doing the pipe bypass will obviously make your blower blow cold as it will never see warm water.

if you do this, use a length of clear garden hose. that way you will see your coolant circulating around and can rest assured your water pump is fine.

if you also undo the two pipes which go through the bulkhead and put a garden hose into either one and flush out the matrix, if it is blocked then it will/should clear it. if it seems blocked and persistant, then swap the garden hose to the other hose and try reverse flushing it.

richard

cheers for the advice :rolleyes: it looks like matrix blocked or restricted i will try hose pipe once this cold snap is over (pipe frozen)snow and ice ,

cheers joe

There is another possibility.

The heater matrix may well be hot but the face/byepass dampers on the heater may be stuck in the position that bye-passes air from the heater so it doesn't heat. Possibly worth checking that each of the control knobs are correctly operating the dampers. The control cables are known to come off the knobs.

It's not a V8 by any chance ?

There is another possibility.

The heater matrix may well be hot but the face/byepass dampers on the heater may be stuck in the position that bye-passes air from the heater so it doesn't heat. Possibly worth checking that each of the control knobs are correctly operating the dampers. The control cables are known to come off the knobs.

It's not a V8 by any chance ?

its a 200tdi bit better on fuel lol

• 2 weeks later...

hi all at last i have got engine temp up to about half way but the blowers still blow cold i have replaced thermostat flushed engine and replaced antifreeze.

is it possible for the water pump to pack in pumping the water around without any noticable signs?.

cheers joe. :unsure::unsure:

Joe,

I had the same problem last year, I tried everything that has been suggested on this thread, turned out it was the head gasket, the seal had gone between the piston and the water jacket, allowing gas into the coolant system and pressurising the coolant system which stopped the water going through the heater matrix.

changing the head gasket has fixed my problem.

Joe,

I had the same problem last year, I tried everything that has been suggested on this thread, turned out it was the head gasket, the seal had gone between the piston and the water jacket, allowing gas into the coolant system and pressurising the coolant system which stopped the water going through the heater matrix.

changing the head gasket has fixed my problem.

cheers for the replys its now sorted bought a new matrix from a RRC and at last i have heat first time since i bought it roll on the cold mornings lol.

cheers joe and all the best for 2010. :)