difflock gone

my uncle rang me this morning to say that his recently acquired 300 tdi 90 would not climb the bank out of his house due to the snow they had had. i made sure hed got it in difflock but still nothing so i popped up 2 give him a tow, after more investigation this afternoon diflock is not engaging at all, ive checked all linkages and it goes in all the way, but does not engage??? ive never had one of these apart so am unsure of the layout but are there any comon problems that could do this?? cheers

my uncle rang me this morning to say that his recently acquired 300 tdi 90 would not climb the bank out of his house due to the snow they had had. i made sure hed got it in difflock but still nothing so i popped up 2 give him a tow, after more investigation this afternoon diflock is not engaging at all, ive checked all linkages and it goes in all the way, but does not engage??? ive never had one of these apart so am unsure of the layout but are there any comon problems that could do this?? cheers

Does the light come on?

hi, no the light doesnt come on but the linkages are fuly int he in position under neath, i know its not in because ive checked, jack one front wheel up and spin, if it was engaged it would lock, like my disco does, knock it out an it will free wheel, may have to try the warm oil method, but did the lever move or was it solid as the internal lever moves freely on this? mite get my hands on it for an afternoon go playing see what will occur, does any one have an exploded diagram of the setup incase that doesnt work? i understand theres a spring loaded mechanism to engage wen it is suitable so wondering whether the spring has broken or such like thanks

hi, no the light doesnt come on but the linkages are fuly int he in position under neath, ... does any one have an exploded diagram of the setup incase that doesnt work? i understand theres a spring loaded mechanism to engage wen it is suitable so wondering whether the spring has broken or such like thanks

The light comes on when the locking dog has actually slid into the locked position (but on an older defender the switch, wiring and bulb may all be shot, so be careful).

The difflock lever operates an arm in the box (assmebly 12) which compresses a spring (10), and the spring pushes the dog (2, via fork 7). Fork 7 operates the difflock switch (23). So the lever just "suggests"! If difflock hasn't been used much, the oil is cold and or the two parts of the centre diff go round together then the lock may never engage.

post-8420-126157896318_thumb.jpg