Dodgy Steering?

onions

My '98 300tdi Disco has recently had a new steering box fittted. The old one didn't feel too bad, but I had on good advice that with the amount of oil that was left in the old one by the end (very little) that it was on it's way out.

Since getting it back the first 500 miles or so were pretty good, steering was a bit more positive all round, but for the last 100 miles or so I feel like I am constantly correcting the steering - one minute I think I'm heading for the kerb and the next I'm off towards the centre line. It's not a massive amount but you notice small changes in your own car. There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of play in the steering when the car is stationary. Also, when the car was put back together the steering wheel wasn't put on quite straight (when you put it perfectly level you drive off towards the kerb), which isn't a massive problem in itself apart from playing tricks with my mind, so I'm wondering:

1) What could be going wrong next?

2) Is this just a typical Disco "thing" that should be lived with?

3) Has the slightly off-level steering wheel played havoc with my tiny mind and if so does anyone have a reconditioned thinking box available?

Many thanks in advance folks..

Potentially, yes. In fact the steering shaft is pretty safe as the bolt has to come right out before the steering UJs can slip off, and that is pretty unlikely. Equally unlikely that a nyloc nut on ball joints will come right off, but not hard to check so worth doing!

Thanks - I'll have a look at that. Having had a poke around today I can't find any play in any of the bits between the steering wheel and the steering box in case that gives anyone some ideas. I'll be working round the bits underneath ASAP.

I took the time today to put the steering wheel back to (almost) the right angle. Obviously you have to take it off to make the adjustment. I thought I was in for a bit of a hard time because the Haynes said it was a 3 spanner (medium hard) job. In reality it only took 2 big screwdrivers a socket set and 10 minutes - it takes at least that long for me to get the gearstick gaiter off the centre console to clean the crumbs off the rubber mat. I didn't realise I was so mechanically adept.