Clutch pedal woes - 300tdi

matt bristol

After a gear change one day the clutch pedal did not return to the normal position, it sits about an inch above the carpet. The pedal will move all the way back if you pull it and stay there but it only seems to operate teh master cylinder/dissengage the clutch on the last inch or so of movement.

Hoping - somewhat optomistically I reckon - that its not the lever in the bell housing is there any adjustment on the master cylinder end or unique to Land Rover things I should be checking. There is still plenty of fluid in the reservior and the pedal itself moves freely enough. The clutch action has got progressively worse over the last couple of weeks to the point that to move now I have to engage first gear when moving away I have to turn the engine off, you can feel it dragging as you try to start the engine and then begins the joy of clutchless gear changes.

I think I know the answer already but the workshop is freezing at the moment!

it could be the fork has began to wear though the pivot point, air in the system, worn leaking slave cylinder, try bleeding it first and see what happens

Mine did the same, did the slave and master cylinder.

Problem solved :)

Clutch fork would have been my next possibility.

Good luck

PS. Clutch & Slave is not an expensive job