Defender 90 Rear Propshaft

When I take the rear propshaft off my 1996 Defender 90 300 TDI I have to prop the chassis and let the rear suspension drop to give room to remove it at the front end. With the weight on the wheels it won't close up enough to allow removal.

I'm sure it should not be like this as with the rear fully loaded the propshaft must be close to trying to push the gearbox and engine forward. I'm wondering if the the vehicle has been fitted with the wrong shaft at some point.

Can anyone tell me the correct length for the rear propshaft ? I guess the best measurement for comparison is the length from the rear flange to the front end of the of the outer casing. Alternatively the fully compressed length.

Richard Lechmere

Mine came off my '95 300Tdi quite easily when I changed the rear diff oil seal, didn't have to jack anything up. As previous answer, make sure the sliding joint is completely clear of muck etc otherwise it don't sound right and won't be doing the transfer box any good.

Malcolm