Gearbox problems

wingnut1033

Hi folks

Is there anyone out there who has fitted a Defender gearbox into a S3 lightweight. My original engine was a 2 1/4 diesel that died a few years ago and I fitted a 2.5 NA diesel out of an early defender. The only mods i had to do were move one of the engine mounts(welding job), enlarge the stud holes on the bell housing and fit a new clutch plate with the splines numbers that matched my new drive shaft. SIMPLE!!!!!

My gearbox is starting to fail and 3rd gear sounds like a tooth is missing so I'm looking to find a replacement to put in it whilst I try and rebuild this old thing. I've never rebuilt a gearbox before so I'm quietly dreading it.

Anyway getting back to my question. Can I fit a defender gearbox in my S3 chassis and has anyone ever done this. The box must fit the engine as it started off in a defender. Has anyone ever fitted this setup before and would know if the drive shafts will fit and what chassis mods would be needed to mount it?

Many thanks

Dave

I have a lt77 fitted to my lwt. to be honest its not worth the effort. I managed to make custom engine and gearbox mounts so that i haven't had to mod the chassis. You will have to shape the crossmember under the bell housing to clear the prop. for the rear you will need a custom one made. you can either move the engine forwards ( like i did) or severly shorten the rear prop. if you move it forwards yiou will have to completely chang the grill panel to take the rad on top of the front cross member. plus allow room for your intercooler and electric fans.

That sounds about right. I can't shunt the block forward any further as its seriously tight already. Shortening props could be an option. Did you need to alter the front prop in any way? If i did get the LT77 box I'd probably weld on new mounts anyway. Did you notch the front xmember and roughly by how much. I just fancy a fully syncro'd box and not need my whining overdrive! My box is dying and I've got grinding in 3rd gear(probably cracked cog) and since i've been using low ratio in the snow I can't get out of 4 wheel drive. OK whilst the snow lasts but annoying as hell.

Think I'll just source a S3 box for the time being and rebuild my old one. Thanks for the advice

What ever you do you will need a new front prop. i managed to use a stadard 200tdi one. but i moved my engine forwards.

There are a load of threads on hear in the series forum about 5 speed conversions. Jon white has done this conversion by leavign the engine in situe and shortening the rear prop. hw said he had difficulties getting around the frotn propshaft clearances on the bell housing crossmember. Can't remember how he got around it. my conversion is slitghtly diffent as i also have coiler axles converted to fit the leaves. that gives me a pitched nose on the diff which all aids in cleareing the bell hosuing cross member.

To be honest my s3 box ( when rebuitl was as quiet, if not quieter than the lt77 i have fitted now. Unless you can afford to go the whole hog and get a nice shiney lt77 box ( like my borther has done recently from ashcroft) and it is super smooth and "modern like"

hope that helps

Chris