tyres and pressures

gunner29

I should imagine most people would like to know what you are running them on to have any idea about an answer. My intuition tells me it is most likely a Discovery 2 or Discovery 3.

As for whether they are any good - what are you wanting them for? Road, mud, snow and ice, sand?

This might be helpful: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=49559

The standard 18in Discovery 2 size is 255/55R18 which is pretty close to what you have so I would suggest you try the same pressures the book lists for the standard tyres and see what it feels like. Those are 30psi front 38psi rear for normal operating conditions (03MY onwards) and 30/46 if loaded to GVW. For some reason the post 03 models have a higher front tyre pressure of 30, older ones are 28psi. Try the slightly lower pressure as well, as the vehicles are the same (the 03 is no heavier) and it will make the ride slightly better. The 18in wheels on D2s have a bit of a reputation for tramlining on grooves in the road so maybe the higher front pressures are meant to stop this, I don't know why it was changed as the 99-02 and 03-04 vehicles are mechanically near enough identical and therefore the weights will be the same.

I have never heard of these particular tyres but having Googled them and speaking as somebody who sells tyres for a living a couple of observations are

1) that the prices vary wildly (Camskill Tyres have them for £55, many others are nearer £100) and

2) they are very much a pure road pattern - they will be pretty useless in any sort of mud. So ok if your lanes are a summertime dry rocky surface (though as a pure road tyre, puncture resistance may be an issue - some of the road tyres have very thin carcasses) but far from ideal for anything much that is wet or muddy including mud or clay. Quite a complex tread pattern so may be OK in snow and ice.

If you want a bit of off road ability to go laning then the General Grabber AT2 is available in either 255/55R18 or 255/60R18 if you want the slightly bigger size, though you will be looking at twice the money - http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m56b0s481p11474 but shop around. If you go for the 255/55 size then you will be able to get away with buying four and keeping your old spare, which will save a bit.

According to the manufacturer, maximum tyre pressure for the tyres you asked is 44 psi, which is lower than what LR says in the owner's manual (46 for the rear tyres when loaded at max GVW).

According to the owner manual, when towing and with the vehicle loaded at max GVW, you should over-inflate the tyres by "at least 3 psi". 49 psi is way over 44 psi in terms of tyre pressure ratings.

The tyres will be ok if you use the vehicle to drive to your local supermarket and back but your insurer might not be happy regardless what you use the vehicle for.

For example, the tyres BogMonster recommended are rated 51 psi which means they are ok for this application.

The Nexens are supposed to be a 108H which is 1000kg at 130mph. Fine on speed, and fine on weight as the max rear axle weight on a D2 is 1800kg.

I don't know what to make of the situation where the vehicle manufacturer recommends a higher pressure than the tyre can be inflated to, but if the tyre is rated for 1000kg at 44psi then I guess that is the pressure you should use and ignore the Land Rover pressure.

Better read the insurance policy terms and/or ask his insurer. If he has a comprehensive insurance that is, third party insurance is no problem.

In case a tyre will explode (say not from a puncture or because it was inflated over 44 psi) and end up in a ditch or a tree, the insurer might refuse to pay for the damage on his vehicle. It depends on where he's from, i.e. the law in that country, the terms in the policy etc.

You know insurers look for needles in the haystacks to find a reason not to pay. They might look in the owner's manual, check what's written on the tyre and might give you the finger (in a polite manner).