power steering box oil check

Hi all

I have a 1995 land rover defender 110 which I believe has power steering box rather than a manual one. When it has been serviced I don't think the box has been checked for oil level. My manual only tells you how to check the manual box so is it possible to check the oil level on a power steering box, if so does anyone know how?

Thanks Roy

Hi all

I have a 1995 land rover defender 110 which I believe has power steering box rather than a manual one. When it has been serviced I don't think the box has been checked for oil level. My manual only tells you how to check the manual box so is it possible to check the oil level on a power steering box, if so does anyone know how?

Thanks Roy

Yours should have power steering as standard. The steering box itself uses the power steering fluid as a lubricant, the level of which needs only to be checked at the reservoir (brown plastic container approx 3" in diameter fitted with a black lid - on a 300 I think it's mounted on the nearside inner wing towards the front of the engine bay).

Details of standard underbonnet checks and locations of items to be checked are all listed in both the owners manual and the workshop manuals - I'd suggest you think about investing in one as it'll save you time and money in the long run.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Yours should have power steering as standard. The steering box itself uses the power steering fluid as a lubricant, the level of which needs only to be checked at the reservoir (brown plastic container approx 3" in diameter fitted with a black lid - on a 300 I think it's mounted on the nearside inner wing towards the front of the engine bay).

Details of standard underbonnet checks and locations of items to be checked are all listed in both the owners manual and the workshop manuals - I'd suggest you think about investing in one as it'll save you time and money in the long run.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Thanks Matt I have got the owners manual and a workshop manual, it's my fault, :blush: I read it wrong. I was reading about the manual steering instead of the power steering :blush: :blush:

All the levels checked and are ok, thanks to this and other forums. I'm very new to both land rovers and mechanicing, thanks again Roy