Forte Engine Oil Flush ?

bandy

No - definately not. Forte Engine flush is not recommended for use on any engine that has done over about 70k, that is what they told us when we asked them the question.

If the engine has had it used from it's first service, then it would be ok, but on one that has done that much mileage, it would cause more problems than it would solve.

I've used similar stuff on our 195k mile Audi A4 without any problems, and those engines are known for sludging.

My current recommendation is to use a similar amount of diesel fuel, as its cheaper, and pretty much the same stuff anyway. I've flushed a few engines using a 50-50 mix of diesel fuel and the old engine oil with good results, and a few people on the Audi forum i use have done the same. Thats quite a bit more aggressive than tipping 300mls of Forte/Kerosine/Diesel into the existing oil too, and i've not heard of any self destructing engines due to it.

I guess the biggest worry is the flush dislodging deposits that have been hanging around inside the engine for years and then blocking the oil pickup screen. I guess if the engine is particularly manked up, then its a larger concern. An oil pressure guage would be a good investment anyway, and would let you see if anything untoward was happening.

I guess the biggest worry is the flush dislodging deposits that have been hanging around inside the engine for years and then blocking the oil pickup screen. I guess if the engine is particularly manked up, then its a larger concern. An oil pressure guage would be a good investment anyway, and would let you see if anything untoward was happening.

That is the exact concern that was expressed by the guys from Forte. The risk of dislodging deposits from seals and bearings, making the engine leak like the proverbial sieve.

we use the whole forte range at work with good results BUT I don`t like oil flushes personally. I think its better to change the oil then change again within a few hundred miles if you`re trying to flush the system. I`ve seen a few engines sound a little "tappity" after flushing with this type of product

My dad stocked + used the whole forte range when he had his workshop + he swears by everything they do, he cannot reccomend it enough to people but he also agrees that it is bad to use any flush on a high or high is mile engine for the reasons already stated unless used from day 1

As already said lots of oil changes for a while

I wouldnt use 20/50, its quite an old type + grade of oil, 15/40 would be a better choice + make sure its nice + warm when its drained

with regards to th 47k V8 id be inclined to do a couple of oil changes + take it on a run then another change then probably go with a flush as it should be pretty good inside + the flush should be ok due to the mileage

James

I was thinking valvoline VR1 20/50 ?

That's a mineral oil, good if you race that V8 or if the Isle of Man slipped next to the Arabian Peninsula :)

LR recommends 10W-40 ACEA A2 and also recommends Castrol. On a V8 with that mileage, for regular use and UK climate, I don't see a reason on using something else.