Problems with a TD5

Hi there!!!

Usually I dont post here but...

A friend of mine with a TD5 has a problem with the gearbox.

The problem started with a buzzing that were more strong in the 1st, 2nd and 5th gears. Thinking in the fluid that was change not long ago, he check the levels but all appears normal.

Finally the gearbox were dead and look like something has been loose inside. He can move the gearstick to each gear and the clutch appears to work OK, but the car continue in neutral position. They also check the transfer but its appear to working fine. He comment me that the gearbox oil appear to be burned and some oil were spill off from the gearbox.

According to the dealer, the problem is not common and require to replace all the gearbox.

Anybody with a similar experience?

Possible causes and solutions?

Thanks in advance

Eduardo

The burnt smell could be one of the needle bearings (that let the gears roll on the mainshaft) going bad, they are held in plastic containment. My box ran low on oil and had the same burnt smell, when I rebuilt it several of the needle bearings had got so hot that they had melted the plastic that holds the small needles in place. Assuming the oil level was correct then it could be an oil pump failure or incorrect oil. The bottom line is you need a rebuilt or new gearbox.