Front Shockers TD5

petrolhead63

lower bushes are clapped on my 2000 TD5, it looks reasonably straighforward but has anybody got useful feedback on doing the job? It looks to me like the most likely problem is undoing those 4 nuts on top of the crusty suspension turret. If they shear off what is the result, are they bolts or studs?

Any feedback from those who have done it and got the T shirt already would be appreciated.

You are generally right, undo bottom two bolts for bottom bush and remove the turret. I have to say that I've not had one break off (yet :) ) Wire brush and penetrating oil helps. I did find that on a TD5 I had to remove some of the inlet piping to make room to remove the turret on the near side.

If you are lucky then the old ones are so knackered they fall out. Replacement is just two deep sockets and a vice or press.

Just had mine fail it's MOT due to nackered bushes and turrets.

As said plenty of easing fluid and careful spanner work, all mine came off OK. If one does shear then you need a replacement ring.

As replacement shocks are only £18 each I changed both units. Much easier than replaceng the bushes. actually I could not see how the bushes could be replaced.

Turrets can only be replaced by OEM parts so a little expensive at £51 each plus VAT.

Total replacement time 2 hours.

jiginc