Replacable roof?

jameslwt

I have rust holes around the alpine lights in my 97 5 door disco. Shame as apart from the sills shes not bad (well from what I have discovered anyway!!)

Am trying to work out best option...

I was thinking of cutting out some pieces from a breaker, cutting out the rot on mine and welding them in (repair panels not available to buy as far as I know). I figure this would be easier than making up pieces from sheet metal.

or

It was suggested today that maybe I replace the whole roof. Anyone done this? Am pretty sure it's welded on, and not bolted like I think some rangies were?

or simply cut out rot, patch from inside and then bodyfiller, although would need to look at alpine light fitting.

I am v good with grp and ok with welding. Doesn't have to be brilliant but at the same time I don't want it looking like a pile of p!o at the same time if you see what I mean. However I look at it I am sure I will have to remove the glass and headlining etc etc.

So has anyone been through this before?

Thanks for any input.

I bought one that had had it done ages ago and it was a NIGHTMARE! Didn't know till I got it home! They are definatley steel but the problem is getting all the pillars in the right place, it never did look right and the doors were all over the place. It maybe that it was just done badly but I never could get it to look right.

Andy