TD5 Wastegate Problem

I thought I have blown the exhaust on my Defender but on closer inspection I found the noise was coming from under the bonnet.

With the heat shield removed I found the wastgate wide open and free as the actuator rod is completely detached. I am guessing there should be a circlip that hold it on?

It also seems to short to fit, I am a little caution in doing this as I don't want to adjust it and mess with the boost. Is there anything I need to worry about. I will mark the threads where it is currently set.

Any advice?

Can anyone tell me (or show me a picture which depicts) what the correct closed position of the waste gate arm should be? I have the arm back on and the volume is much lower in the car but it sounds completely different to before. Much raspier and I am getting some poping, a bit like waste gate chatter.

Although I quite like sounding like a WRC car I am worried I have got this wrong!

Hi!

the actuator lenght is 11 threads in some models, but some seem to have 14 threads visible. It need´s a lot of effort and big pliers to get it back in it´s place. What I mean is that you probably can´t assemble it wrongly. Sorry, don´t know how to attach pictures, otherwise I could.

Cheers,