l-series diesel

dippydave

Hi all, sorry if this has been dealt with before. I have a 99 L-series disel freelander with a very tired engine. Its not actually failed as yet but I know its long in tooth. Anyhow I have been offered a rover 220 SDI (97 P-reg) with 87k on clock thats a writeoff. the guy selling it claims its the same engine and its a straight forward simple swop. TRUE or FALSE ? any advice welcomed regards all dave.

Its a rumour I've heard, but not sure if there are different versions :unsure:

Have a read here

Sorry I can't give you a definate Yeay or Nay but hopefully the above will give you some clue.

Good luck!

Dan :)

Thanx for that dan, the info kinda fits in with more off what im told by word off mouth. my freelander log book states a 1997cc engine but the rover log book states 1994cc so clearly there are some differences somewhere. Also I discovered there are 2 power outputs for the 220 rover, the higher powered engines have an intercooler fitted next to the front radiator and the lower power not having the intercooler. To look at the engines side by side with the big engine covers removed they appear exactly the same ! so anyone else have any input ? dave