v8 oil issues - a story and a question

task

With the start of spring just around the corner I decided to drag the Series 3 out of hibernation and kick her into life. Upon doing so it decided to spit oil out the gasket between the oil filter and the remote housing.

This was about a month ago in some bitterly cold weather so I put it down to over-revved (poor choke setup) and too cold oil. Pushed the car back into the garage and went inside so I could warm up and feel my hands again.

Fast forward to this week and I finally found some time to work on the poor thing.

I replaced the oil filter and filled her back up with oil, turned her over and she fired up but sounded really rough. Oil pressure light didn't go out.

I have since then replaced the oil pressure switch and removed the dizzy to manually run the oil pump with a drill. Oil flows nicely round the oil filter circuit but I'm unsure if this is oiling the engine. I have removed a rocker cover and can't really make out any oil but I perhaps haven't given it enough time.

I'm going back outside now to see if manual pump operation will make the oil pressure light go out and run the drill for a bit longer, see if I can make out any oil at the top of the engine. Failing this I really have no idea what can have gone wrong, never encoutered an issue like this before :/

Suggestion are very much welcomed!

cheers guys, my primary reason for worry was the venting of oil from the original filter. I did indeed prime the new filter before firing the engine up. Going to venture back out tomorrow and attempt more diagnostics.

I wasn't sure if the oil pressure light would go out given the use of the remote oil filter, I'm guessing it will.

I also assume if it's running oil through the filter then it's also running through the engine?