Dumbass newbie Disco Swivel Hub Question

tedsy

I have a 95 300 TDI Discovery. Im going to service it this weekend so I have got out my best hammer and a new tin of WD40.

From what Ive read everything looks pretty straightforward. One question I have is how do I know if I have have one shot grease in the swivel hubs or not. Im guessing if I have a grease nipple showing then not?

All abusive replies and suggestions are welcome.#

Cheers Mark

No grease nipple as standard I'm afraid - one shot cones in a sachet that you squeeze through the filler plug. To check what you have in there - remove the filler plug and 'dip' a straw or bit of wire in there. One shot is dark grey and quite thick.

Les.

The grease wasn't around in 1995, so your Disco had oil in it at the start. If you look, you will have three plugs on the swivel housings - a drain at the bottom, a level plug in the middle and a filler plug at the top. Take out the drain plug and see what comes out.... If your seals are in good nick you are better off with the oil IMHO. I still use oil in my 95 Defender. After all, you don't fill your gearbox with grease, do you?

The grease is a typical LR bodge-up to get over a design failing.

• 2 weeks later...