Strange steering

jmattley

Hi all, my steering has recently been acting a bit strange on my 200. It's starting groaning a bit at low speed, might be at high speed too but I can't listen for that! It doesn't really seem any heavier that normal though and it has the correct level of PSF too. A recon'd steering box was fitted about 2000miles ago. Any thoughts?

Just changed both ancillary belts to the correct tightness. It was like it before I changed them, it was also making the old worn ones squeal when force was put on them from turning the wheel.

Is it happening just during the turning of the wheels, does it get worse or better at full lock (both ways), is it worse or better when the vehicle is moving slightly, do the above things change with higher revs?

It's just while I actually turn the steering wheel, once it stops turning it goes quiet. It gets a little bit worse at full lock. It happens both ways but seems a little bit worse when going right. Not sure about what revs it happens at, I think it's most of the rev range though. The steering also feels a bit lumpy as well.

It's just while I actually turn the steering wheel, once it stops turning it goes quiet. It gets a little bit worse at full lock. It happens both ways but seems a little bit worse when going right. Not sure about what revs it happens at, I think it's most of the rev range though. The steering also feels a bit lumpy as well.

From this, it gets worse with higher pressure / doing more work, so its either not fully bled (it'd hiss, not groan), the steering system is stiff (bit unlikely) or, as I have found, you need to do the PAS belt up a bit tighter than the book suggests. Left field last thought - are all the joints and bearings in the steering column OK (two bearings and two UJs I think)?

I'm almost certain it's my PS pump now. The pulley on it has play in it laterally, so it wiggles forwards and backwards which has caused the alternator belt to keep twisting which has since been completely chewed up to the point where it doesn't work (it was brand new that belt!). It's also got heavier and noisier, so I think a replacement will be in order. Anyone got a PS steering pump they don't want?

Just reading through the Haynes for changing the PAS pump, it mentions some kind of shield which I need to remove from under the car. What's this all about? What's everyone personal experience of changing the PAS pump?

Hi, not had any experience of changing, but I have the same sound from mine. Groans when steering - I figured it just needed some grease on the steering components, and my mate (Paradigm Shift, I believe is on here?) reckoned it might be the steering rack and column requiring a bit of careful attention.

Would be interesting to find out whether it is the PAS pump though as I may need one as well!

Mine only occurs when at low speeds, low revs, turning corners, like in a 3 point turn, or when the vehicle is stationary.

Will let you boys know if anything else becomes apparent.

Hi, My 300tdi used to groan when I turned the steering wheel too, located the sound to the bulkhead rubber the steering column passes through. Quick spray of wd40/gt80 kept it quiet. Hope this helps you as it took a while to find it myself.

Bri