Play in the steering

Is there any way to reduce the play in the steering system, i can move the wheel about 10mm or so either way with no effect.

All the TRE's are new and on tight, the UJ's in the column don't feel loose, new damper on tight, wheel bearings and swivels checked and fine

'84 RRC

Not shure about on pas boxes but definatly on the manual box in the 110 there is a adjusting nust and locknut that allow you to take up the slack. Needs to be checked accross the whole steering range though.

Im sure there someone here that can clarify.

Edd

How I did mine:

Lift the axle up with wheels at straight ahead and rock the steering to get a feel of free play (engine off).

Loosen lock nut while holding adjuster and tighten a wee bit at a time checking 'feel' of steering. If you can get help, then a mate can adjust screw while you rock for free play. Once you have less than 9.5mm slop it's 'within LR tolerance'. Tighten locknut and turn steering lock to lock checking for tightness (if there is any start saving for another 'box).

HTH

Be cautious with this, do a small adjustment at a time then drive it for a bit until you feel comfortable.

The problem is that they wear around straight ahead from constant corrections in daily driving, the extremities of lock wear considerably less. If you overdo the correction about straight ahead you can jam the box first time you have to go around a sharp corner at more than parking speed with the expected scary results. Tightness at the lock extremes may not be noticeable at parking speeds due to the differing dynamic loads on the steering box output shaft when the axle is more articulated. If you can't reduce the backlash sufficiently without the box getting tight nearer full lock it's time to invest in a new box.

Don't ask me how I know this :o the brown corduroy trousers were due for the wash anyway. :rolleyes: