1985 Sation Wagon heater-a/c

Hi...I am rebuilding a 1985 110 - LHD and the heater-a/c is completely rotted out. I have been reading several threads on here but none are answering my questions straight. I apoligise for starting a new thread on this but it would be wonderful to get some exact answers...

First, would any other year Land Rover unit fit in easily?

Second, is there a definitive answer as to what aftermarket system would work extremely well, and would fit easily?

Third, what BTU amount would work well? I am in the desert and I have no idea if 17,000 BTUs would suffice?

Thanks

Mike

Hi...I am rebuilding a 1985 110 - LHD and the heater-a/c is completely rotted out. I have been reading several threads on here but none are answering my questions straight. I apoligise for starting a new thread on this but it would be wonderful to get some exact answers...

First, would any other year Land Rover unit fit in easily?

Second, is there a definitive answer as to what aftermarket system would work extremely well, and would fit easily?

Third, what BTU amount would work well? I am in the desert and I have no idea if 17,000 BTUs would suffice?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

I can't answer all of your questions but will try and answer a few I have a TD5 A/C unit the type that chills your legs, the unit mounts to the underside of the dash and into the footwell space of the passanger side, (takes more space than you think) I beleive it is designed to fit a TD5 bulkhead and therefore you would probaly need to alter it to fit your bulkhead, and would obvisouly need one designed for a LHD car as they are not a universal fit. I dont see why the rest of it would not fit with some adjustment the only issue I could see would be around the routing of the pipes in the engine bay as the air intake may get in the way.

The British thermal unit (BTU or Btu) is a traditional unit of energy equal to about 1.06 kilojoules It is approximately the amount of energy needed to heat one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit.

There are lots of conversion tables on the web that will convert BTU's into whatever you need, the standard way of working out your cooling requirement is to work out the cubic area of the space you want to chill the ambient temp and then what you want it to be, this will allow you to work out the requirement for A/C. Remember that the outside temp and that in the Landy will be diffrent, but you don't want to go to OTT as this will can also cause problems.

Hope this helps, Jason.

Jurriaan:

yes, I have a dash exactly like the one you are showing,,,(actually I like your gauges!)

I am in Qatar and will eventually drive the vehicle to my home in Nova Scotia, but in the meanwhile I need a very good a/c.

Also, I am fitting a 4.6 liter GEMS where the 2.25 used to be, and I need a full set of engine mounts,,,the mounts that bolt to the engine, and the side that is welded to the frame..