Corrosion around Alpine lights

Pinn76

Hi,

I own a '94 300tdi, unfortunately it is suffering from a few leaks into the rear (not uncommon I hear you say) I noticed that when it rained heavy there was water running from behind the trim around the alpine lights. Had a little poke around earlier and discovered what I thought was only surface rust, to be a hole about 4-5mm across just beside the rubber seal for the fore mentioned windows. Do any of you helpful peeps know if repair panels are available or am I going to have to Fabricate something up?

Thank you in advance.

Will post pics when I get time later.

Bri

I have a similar problem with the lhs alpine light on my disco. There's bubbling under and below the leading corner. As the boot floor is dry, for now I've just applied rust killer to it to slow things down. But it's going to be window out, new seal and steel at some point :( I was hoping to get it done when sorting out some other rusty bits in the future. For now it will have to wait.

If you're going to have a garage do the job, prep the interior yourself so they'll only charge you for the fabrication etc.

As promised here are the pics of the offending surface rust

post-18277-127146076736_thumb.jpg

post-18277-127146183344_thumb.jpg

Well, after biting the bullet and deciding that the roof lining has to come out anyway, I had a few hours spare today so thought I may aswell crack on!!

Thinking that head lining would take a couple of hours I was pleasently surprised to have it out in 45 mins...........RESULT!

Below is what was found :o

post-18277-127146186956_thumb.jpg

Gripper- Thought it might be as not found any on t'internet

Jumpy- Mine was a little worse than the way yours sounds as you can see from the pic (white bit is the back of gaffer tape as a temporary fix)

RaDi90hybrid- The thought did cross my mind but t'other side is sound so would have to do both else would look a bit odd, also I've seen some pretty shoddy looking patches there on bobtailed ones. Getting the profile correct would be hard without the correct tools etc. Looking at it now I think I can get away with a small patch on the inside and fill from outside after coating with rust killer and using a good primer.

Cheers for the advise and I'll keep you updated

Bri