hybrid legality???

Hi i wonder if anyone can help me out here, i have a 1993 Land rover discovery which i bought.

The body was rotten so i cut it off and put a defender body on it, (shortened the rear tub etc to accomodate) and welded on a defender rear x member, the engine was capput so replaced it with a 300Tdi and defender r380 box.

Thevehicle looks like a completely standard defender. I spoke to the DVLA who assured me that as both engines were 2495cc they were classified as a like for like swap so would qualify for the points system?

The vehicle also has my private plate on it which i dont want to lose ( as it didnt have MOT i couldnt take it off beforehand!!)

The chap at DVLA advised me to change the colour on the log book to match the vehicle and change the engine number, which i have done (had the V5 back in one piece without question) and have now sent off my V5 with a letter explaninig what i have done .

I wanted to do this properly as am scared of having the vehicle confiscated.

Has anyone done this before and can let me know if it will go on a Q plate and will i lose my private plate,and how long will it be as it is ready for MOT now and i want to use it (3 years in the build).Willit need an SVA?

Any help gladly appreciated

Ross

First step would be to put the registration on a retention certificate.

Secondly, it is popularly believed that if you modify the chassis (welding on a crossmember for example) then you need an SVA test. DVLA are pen pushers who can only do paperwork to a reasonable standard. You need to consult VOSA for an answer in writing . ...but not till after you have done the registration!

Chris

In all honesty you will get different answers from different people................

I'd say keep your fingers crossed until the paperwork comes back.

But......

You need something in writing if they say it does not require an IVA, should something happen accident like..then you need something to show you followed the correct channels and in the right as it could be said that if you altered the chassis from the original design spec in no longer complies with construction and use for that design !

Can

worms

of

The vehicle also has my private plate on it which i dont want to lose ( as it didnt have MOT i couldnt take it off beforehand!!)
First step would be to put the registration on a retention certificate.

Can you get the vehicle through an MOT so you can transfer the registration number to a retention certificate?

If you'd just stuck the defender body on a disco, then you'd have been fine, but as soon as you perform a "structural modification" to the chassis (ie shortening the chassis and fitting a different crossmember), it then needs and IVA test and will land on a Q plate.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014199

That contains the relevant info, and the bit thats most relevant to you:

The vehicle must score eight or more points to retain the original registration mark. If less than eight points are scored or a second-hand or modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell is used an Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA), enhanced single vehicle approval (ESVA), single vehicle approval (SVA) or motorcycle single vehicle approval (MSVA) certificate will be required to register the vehicle. A 'Q' prefix registration number will be allocated.

What i'd do, is get it an MOT and get the plate off it onto a retention certificate just in case. Then pop down to your local DVLA office for a chat with the inspector there, rather than the monkeys on the phone.