Rusty front shaft, need new CV joint?

Needed new brake pads on front left wheel. Couldn't push the pistons back in (rust) so I decided to buy a new caliper. Might as well change the brake discs also, the thickness was below the 12mm specified. Got caliper off, but when removing drive flange/member? It was stuck to the axle. Bone dry, not a trace of grease. Managed to remove it, the wheel bearings were of course beyond hope (surprised they still sort of worked). Well, I'd just done the same on the rear axle (during winter, outside, in 30cm of snow) so how hard could it be? Quite hard, I couldn't fit a new drive flange on to the rusty shaft...

So, what is the easiest way to change the shaft, I need to replace the CV joint, right? The swivel ball looks OK and no apparent leaks, so minimal work on that is preferred. Should I just remove the stub axle, and can I then change CV joint without messing with swivel bearings/play/shims/seal?

I've read a couple of Les' excellent howtos and some other also.

My axle is a 64L on a 300tdi 110 HCPU -97.

(Hope I got the terms right, please correct me if not)