Sealing seems on a 90 roof prior to respray

Gents,

I am now prepping my 90 project for repraying (wooohooo!! finally getting there).

I aquired a new roof (without a sunroof and hence less leaks) which has had a large amount of silicon applied around the gutters and over the "bend" join at the front of the roof.

I have been laboriously removing the old sealant and plan on digging out all of the the original sealant as well.

To get it back to being watertight what are my options?

Its going to be metallic so white silicon isnt going to look good! :D

I had thought of just spraying first then using clear silicon on the join, the other option was to apply a thin amount of brushable seam sealer then spraying over that.

The only problem with the later is the paint is bound to come off with expansion/contraction over the seasons.

Anyone else done something similar or even know what the original sealer is thats used?

Thanks as always.

Grant :)

hi there

i have recently put a roof on my defender and found some body seam tape on ebay which is only 12mm x 2mm which has sealled the back part of the roof and sticks well i did not find a easy way th seal the front i ended up using a black silicone to listing discription is CAR VAN SUNROOF SEAL WATER LEAK SEAM SEALER STRIP ROLL (#220542576243)hop hope this can help