TD5 Clatter on Engine shutdown

Hi all,

I've got two TD5's - a Disco ES and an 04 Defender 110 TD5. The 'fender I got not long ago in a mad ebay purchase. The defender seems fine - and I've just changed just about every oil and fluid it has but it has one hell of a clatter from the engine when it's switched off. It's done a few miles (125K) but doesn't leak, doesn't seem to be leaking diesel into the sump, doesn't create any smoke and runs and pulls okay (hmm, is it a Land Rover engine?). Engine mounts seem fine. I've no warnings on the dash either.

Anyone ever seen this before or am I just used to the Disco's soundproofing and this is normal?

Any ideas welcome!

Euro

Does the vehicle judder/shake when it happens or is it more just noise?

I've ripped off my lower plastic shield and left the top cover off now. Both vibrated and rattled a fair bit.

Mine do same noise when i shut it down, no matter if 5 degrees or 40..... I simply have learned to live with it.... This noise came aorund 1.5 years and 30.ooo kms ago.... I have tried everything and nothing works....

Thank you both. It's just noisy. I've rechecked the engine mounts and they are fine - but I'm going to take the engine cover off next and see if that helps. I can live with the noise, I just wanted to check that it wasn't a common problem which would lead to worse things.

Has the rotary oil filter been changed?. Mine had a very worrying clatter when just stopped followed by a whirring sound. After changing the rotary filter this has now settled down to just a slight whine. I think some td5's have a live of this filter being overlooked.

just a thought

Has the rotary oil filter been changed?. Mine had a very worrying clatter when just stopped followed by a whirring sound. After changing the rotary filter this has now settled down to just a slight whine. I think some td5's have a live of this filter being overlooked.

just a thought

I know the whirring sound you mean. I had it on a non genuine filter on the Disco once. I've just fitted a new Bearmach one and it seems okay.

I've taken the top cover off the engine and the clatter is much quieter. I'm going to see if it's the rubber mountings in the cover.

Thanks for the suggestion though.