Sankey trailer help

The Viking

I hope this is posted in the right place, apologies if not.

I have just acquired a Sankey 3/4 tonne wide track trailer which looks rather fine behind the 110. It could do with some new shock absorbers, one of them having a large dent in the upper tube, how it got there without damaging anything else is a mystery.

The trailer plate has the following data on it -

TYPE FV2381

SERIAL 60499

CON NO FVE21A/352

CES33984

CODE NO 2853-0790

From that information, is it possible to work out how old the trailer is?

Also, I think I have read that the shock absorbers are the same as a 110 rear shock absorber, they look a bit shorter, how critical is the sizing for shocks?

The trailer will be used for camping so is unlikely to get anywhere near its max weight, if that makes any difference.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in anticipation.

the viking

Hi,

At risk of repeating myself, I am currently building an overland trailer on a MK3 Sankey widetrack (http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=49598), I have replaced mine as they had the same "dint" you describe and were frankly Knackered.....

On a trip to Withams (where all Sankeys come from after the MOD has finished with them) I figured out how the damage got there, they unload them from the big artics with a large fork lift, forks slide between the wheels!!!!

Replaced them with 110 shocks they fit without a problem I didn't notice they were streached and do the job espicialy when fully loaded.

Jason.

Hi military reg should be with other numbers you posted from drawbar plate it will be two numbers , two letters, two number. hope this helps.

On My trailer there was a small date plate on the tub punched with the month and date

Having looked in better light I have found the reg no 86KC03 stamped on the plate, does that make it a 1986?

nearly [85/86 Mod financial year] the KC roughly corresponds to the same C reg prefix civvy number plates so you'd be looking at C prefix -- 01 August 1985 31 July 1986