Faulty ?? fuel gauge

Hiya,

With the wonderfull advice I have been given on this forum, I wonder if anyone can inform me why my fuel gauge isn't reading correctly?.

It mostly shows a full tank, and although I wish this was the case, I very much doubt it is, but sometimes it just shows completley empty. As I am not driving the Rover at the moment, there is no way either is correct?

Its an '86 110 2.5N/A Derv, if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Chris.

It's most probably the sender that has given up. I changed mine (together with the tank) to a "white box" sender maybe three years ago. That recently gave up... So now a VDO fuel gauge together with a dip tube is in transit and will go in.

Oh dear,That sounds both expensive, and hard, is it?.

Seeing as snapping the drain plug on my sedimentor has so far cost me over 70 quid in parts ( long storey), Is this somthing that could be attempted by a mechanical biff?, and whats likely cost?.

Thanks,

Chris.

Well, you can change the standard sender without too much trouble, even if it's fiddly. It's on the LH side of the tank and is held on with a bayonet kind of ring. Just make sure that the fuel level is low... And see to that you have all the parts available - sender, bayonet ring and gasket. Despite that everything was new when I installed it, it leaked. So some silicone goo on the gasket is recommended...

I have to add: Sterling service from Merlin Motorsport (where I bought my VDO tankgauge). ;) I ordered the kit on their webshop on Monday evening and today, Friday, the Royal Mail package arrived. Consider I live in Sweden...

Senders are all of £10-£20 last I looked, they're retained into the tank either by a rotating locking ring or a ring of screws, both methods of which will have rusted solid and be a complete arse to remove, so order new screws or lock ring at the same time, plus a new seal.

Apart from that, easy job as long as you can get to the top of the tank, either through the floor or by dropping the tank (again not a complex job, usually 4 bolts and some swearing)