Air Suspension Inactive

m4TT

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but i didnt know where else to put it...

I am a recent owner of a 2004 Range Rover 3.0l Vogue, in Black - and love it very much! However, since i bought it i have had a fault appear. On the day i drove it home i got the "Air Suspension Inactive" message on the dash, this was after i was playing around with the buttons quite a lot to be fair. Anyway took it back and the garage took it in to Land Rover to have the fault checked out, reset the message and updated the ECU software and compression level (by 10bar or something) - anyway, all was ok for about 2 weeks then its happened again.... :-(

I have checked the service history and the previous owner had a new compressor and air resevior fitted in Nov '09, due to the same symptoms......

Im guessing this part should be under warranty as its only 6 months old? - if its the compressor playing up.

Has anyone had any similar problems?

How can i get it fixed fully? What should i do? Does anyone have any advise on what the problem could be?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! - Again, sorry if this is the wrong place, i am a newbie! :(

Thanks all

Matt

These procedures are for the P38 but may help with the later models, unless you get help from an expert, try the following:

1. Get a full report from the LR garage as to what the fault codes and readouts were, what they did to rectify the problem, why the fix did not work and what parts of the suspension they inspected.
  2. Basics; If it sinks overnight the bags seals or pipes are at fault check for leaks with soapy water, look for cracks on a high setting.
  3. If it dropped on command but stayed down, the ecu or height sensors are a likely source of the problem. If you drive on a low setting the ECU will probably shut down and refuse to play, you will need a suspension jogger or a Blackbox interface with a laptop to diagnose and reset the fault (or keep spending at the garage.) I would blame a height sensor if you have been playing with the buttons. The height sensors are a variable resistor connecting the body to the axle via a link bar, it sends a signal to the ECU to tell it how high the suspension is, if it gets damaged or sticky the reading will be false. (The diagnostic would point to this as a fault normally.)
  4. If the system fault is intermittent it may be an ECU or a wiring or earth problem, unlikely with a 2004 car.
  5. Unless you have had leaking system, the pump should be fine, unless the sensor does not shut it down and it carries on pumping. You should be able to hear of feel the vibrations of the pump if it is working too long. Why did they change the tank? If the tank was changed, did they use the old fittings and pressure switch or did they replace the complete module as the easy option to solve a pressure regulation problem?
  6. I suggest you get a set of airline inflater valves, connect them into the air pipes as instructed and blow up the suspension one at a time, at least you will be able to keep going until the fault is cured. Not sure how the system is connected up and works on your car (Try ebay )

there is a modified presure switch that should be fitted with the software download! the fault you need to see to confirm the comp is fubar is a pressure supply to rear or tomuch energy for o/s/r meaning comp cannot comp any more

These procedures are for the P38 but may help with the later models, unless you get help from an expert, try the following:

1. Get a full report from the LR garage as to what the fault codes and readouts were, what they did to rectify the problem, why the fix did not............................................................................................................. connected up and works on your car (Try ebay )

Thanks for you help, This is useful. I will be taking it to a garage again this week (all being well) and get them to at least reset the fault so it can enguage the air suspension. I'll get them to explain what the fault currently on it is, and what they did to correct it. I will mention the various aspects around pressures, leaks, and hight sensors and see what they say.

Its drivable at the moment, as its sat at "standard" height. Its just not got the AS enguaged - so i guess its not as smoother ride.

Thanks for the Info - much appreciated.

Matt