Electrical question

As many on here know I am currently building an overland trailer, one of my luxuries is a 12V microwave which I intend to feed from a 110AH Leisure battery, I plugged it in today only to find that you can’t turn the microwave off the LCD display is always on, whilst this is not a big Issue I would like to be able to turn it off, just in case it decided to start when travelling along.

The Microwave is 660w so my calculation is it draws around 55amps, would I be able to use a 70amp relay to switch this? I.E. would the relay be able to cope with the continuous current over a 20 minute time frame or would it overheat?

My second option would be to fit a cut off switch (battery type) would this be a better option?

Cheers, Jason.

As many on here know I am currently building an overland trailer, one of my luxuries is a 12V microwave which I intend to feed from a 110AH Leisure battery, I plugged it in today only to find that you can’t turn the microwave off the LCD display is always on, whilst this is not a big Issue I would like to be able to turn it off, just in case it decided to start when travelling along.

The Microwave is 660w so my calculation is it draws around 55amps, would I be able to use a 70amp relay to switch this? I.E. would the relay be able to cope with the continuous current over a 20 minute time frame or would it overheat?

My second option would be to fit a cut off switch (battery type) would this be a better option?

Cheers, Jason.

I'd go for the battery cut-off, as it saves faffing with an extra switch and they are pretty much indestructible. a 70A relay should handle 70A all day long, so 55A shouldn't worry it, if you decide to go that way.

Cheers Guys,

Battery cut off it is then, I think I even have a spare one on the boat, so cheaper than buying a relay. Only reason behind the relay is I have some spare switches on the panel I fitted today so was going to use the "heater" switch for the microwave.

Thanks, Jason.